Search

21 Feb 2026

Mayo GAA reveal expected timeline for new CEO appointment

The decision to appoint a new Chief Executive Officer for the county came in the later months of last year.

Mayo GAA reveal expected timeline for new CEO appointment

Collins McNicholas will play a significant role in the process. Pic: Sportsfile

Mayo GAA has revealed its planned timeline for the appointment of its new Chief Executive Officer.

In late November of 2025, the County Board outlined their plans to appoint a CEO to oversee the operations of the running of Gaelic Games in the county.

The recruitment process took another development on Friday, January 16, when it was announced that Collins McNicholas had been appointed to manage the process.

The topic reared its head in the January monthly meeting of the Executive and club delegates on Wednesday, January 28.

The next step is to shrink the pool of potential applicants down to five people, who will progress to the first interview stage.

After this, there will progress to a second interview stage, from which a final candidate will be recommended to the Executive.

Collins McNicholas Recruitment Company will be largely responsible for the process, with the aim of having a candidate singled out by the end of February.

From there, it is anticipated that the new CEO will be in place by the Connacht Championship Quarter-Final between Mayo and London on Saturday, April 11.

This date is subject to change depending on the successful candidate’s personal situation, with potential gardening leave or holidays floated.

Concerns were raised by club delegates in MacHale Park.

One topic that was broached was the potential of the cost of the incoming CEO being shouldered by the clubs.

Mayo GAA's South Board Chairman, Donal Walsh, reassured the delegates that the CEO ‘would not be a cost on clubs’.

The fear that those involved in Mayo GAA would not take any involvement in the process until the final candidate was presented by Collins McNicholas at the end of the second interview stage, was broached by John Farragher from Garrymore.

Those fears were allayed by Walsh. “They’re more capable than us,” he stated, before outlining their plans to examine the remaining candidates after the first round of interviews.

“They’ll whittle it down then and give us their preferred (applicant), but it’s all up to us.”

Ballycroy delegate Michael Gallagher said he had been raising the matter of an Operations Manager for years and asked if Mayo GAA had received approval from Croke Park for the appointment of a CEO.

County Chairman Seamus Tuohy replied and said "We have discussed it with Croke Park."

"I know that, but has Croke Park given its approval," asked Gallagher.

"We have discussed it with Croke Park," Tuohy replied.

"That answers my question so," Gallagher concluded.

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.