Search

18 Feb 2026

North Mayo anglers claim River Moy salmon data is flawed

Members of Moy Action Group addressed Ballina councillors where they called for the installation of fish counters on the River Moy

Mayo anglers called for installation of fish counters on River Moy

Mayo anglers called for installation of fish counters on River Moy

Inland Fisheries Ireland have been accused of using flawed data to introduce restrictions on salmon fishing in the River Moy by anglers in north Mayo.

Members of the Moy Action Group made the claim during a presentation to members of the Ballina Municipal District where they warned that the River Moy faces closure if data taken from angler's log books are relied upon to introduce regulation on salmon fishing.

Martin Parker, a member of Moy Action Group told the councillors that salmon stock data used by Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) to justify new regulations was taken solely from angler's log books which he said was not accurate.

During the presentation, the anglers claimed there is a healthy fish population in the river and called for an investment in the installation of 'effective and efficient fish counters' on the River Moy. 

Mr Parker said the anglers were in favour of conservation but their problem lay with the methodology which IFI used and felt that fish counters will be the only accurate way to record the number of salmon in the river.

“If they rely solely on anglers log books again to take into account the new regs [regulations] coming down the pipeline, there is going to be less anglers log book returns, less salmon recorded and what does that mean for the Moy. It could mean it is shut and it is a horrifying thought but that is what it could mean,” Mr Parker said.

“The cost of the counters is about €100,000 and if they cannot afford it we will look locally to get the money. We don't want to let them off the hook.

“We know conservation is needed but for God's sake do it correctly. If they put the counters in and they say in 18 months time that the river has to close we will have no problem with that,” Mr Parker told the meeting.

Salmon Capital of Ireland

The Moy Action Group was set up last year after the IFI proposed to introduce a brown tag scheme of the River Moy in 2026 whereby 1,044 tags would be distributed through a lottery system.

The proposal was met with consternation among anglers, business people and local representatives in Ballina which is regarded as the Salmon Capital of Ireland.

These proposals were amended in recent weeks with the brown tag scrapped but anglers are limited to seven tags between June 1 and August 31 while the rest of the season is restricted to catch and release.

Peter McHugh, Treasurer of Ballina Salmon Anglers told the meeting that the regulations were already having an impact on this season's fishing.

READ: Great Western Greenway set to temporarily close

“Normally by the end of February there would be €7,000 to €8,000 revenue taken in [from permits] and so far this year we have taken in €700. That is the kind of effect it is having on the town. If the catch and release continues until June 1 we will have no anglers,” he said, adding that the club will not be viable into the future.

“We normally take in €30,000 to €35,000 a year and it takes that much to run a club. If we lose that we lose the club and the salmon capital of Ireland will have no salmon club,” he commented.

Support

Local councillors gave their backing to the angler's campaign and invited them to address the monthly meeting of Mayo County Council.

Fine Gael councillor John O'Hara said that salmon fishing is too important to Ballina and closing the river would be the worst thing to happen.

“Ballina is the Salmon Capital of Ireland. We are spending our time creating tourism and trying to bring it into the place but we have this here and it is our number one tourism attraction. 

“Our guest houses will be closed and the people who have come for years will not come anymore if they have to release their fish. It is the worst thing that has happened to Ballina.

“They would not allow this to happen in Kerry. We need to look after ourselves and not let it go. That is the only thing we have in Ballina and had it before any penny was ever put into tourism,” he said.

Ballina-based councillor Marie Therese Duffy also backed the angler's call for fish counters in the river.

“While we need to conserve our fish stock the information is clearly not accurate in what is being presented with partial counts. We need consistent accurate counters and that €100,000 for counters will be money very well spent. It will paint a clearer and more accurate picture for people because people need that information,” she said.

Cathaoirleach of the Ballina Municipal District, Cllr Jarlath Munnelly said that salmon fishing was part of the identity of Ballina and stated that the council will write to the relevant minister to ask him to meet with the angler's group. 

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.