Wed, Feb
17 New Articles

Mitchels win refixed Mayo Under-17 semi-final



Mayo Under-17 ‘A’ Football Championship

Castlebar Mitchels 3-14
Westport 3-5

Oisín McGovern
Josie Munnelly Park

ONE of the most controversial underage fixtures in recent times was consigned to history by a Castlebar Mitchels team that overcame Westport in Saturday’s refixed Mayo Under-17 ‘A’ championship semi-final.
The original game between the teams had been abandoned following an incident involving an adult entering the field of play, but this refixture was as sporting as it was entertaining.
A slow opening quarter aside, Mitchels were the dominant team every area of the field.
With 2-5 (including one free) to his name, Callum Filan was the stand-out player in the Mitchels’ full-forward line.
For Westport, Darragh Hoban was undisputably their best player, hitting 2-2 of his team’s tally.
The Covies were well in it in the opening quarter, courtesy of Hoban’s first goal that arose from a poor clearance by the Mitchels defence.
Indeed, the Clew Bay lads flirted with victory five minutes later when Hoban drove home a second goal that put them four points up.
But this sparked a fierce response Mitchels side who struck 2-3 in the nine remaining minutes of the half.
Corner-forward Cian Walsh got them up and running with a goal after a driving run from midfielder Paddy Flannelly.
The net was rattled again within two minutes, this time with Cian Walsh selling a lovely dummy before assisting Callum Filan to raise the green flag.
Walsh got a point seconds later after drawing an outstretched save from Conor Meaney before Mitchels signed off the half with two fine points from Ryan Gibbons.
The hosts were utterly dominant in the autumn sunshine after half-time.
Man of the match, Callum Filan, effectively killed the game with 1-2 in ten minutes.
Westport got back among the goals in the 50th minute after another high hopeful ball found the net courtesy of Simon Foy’s fist.
A comeback was never on the cards though, and Mitchels made sure of that by adding four more points before the break, winning out by nine in the end.
They will now take on Claremorris in the Mayo Under-17 ‘A’ Final.

Castlebar Mitchels
M Moore; C Chambers, J McMonagle, B McDonnell; S O’Reilly, S Coyle (0-1), F O’Reil; P Flannelly B Gaughan; C Enright, D Rice, S Cunningham; R Gibbons (0-6, 2fs), C Filan (2-5, 1f), C Walsh (1-1)
Subs used: G Forry (0-1) for Enright (35 mins); C Durcan for F O’Reilly (52 mins); A Morahan for Cunningham (55 mins); C Henry for Walsh (60 mins).

C Meaney; O Killeen, E Canavan, A Letourmy; L Askin, J Noonan, P McNally; C Murphy, L Silke (0-1); N Massey (0-1), D Hoban (2-2, 1f), T Lambert; C McGing, F O’Hara, J Dawson (0-1)
Subs used: S Foy (1-0) for McGing (36 mins); C Heraty for O’Hara (45 mins); J Hyland for McNally (47 mins); T Carthy for Kileen (52 mins); K McTaggart for Murphy (58 mins).

Referee: P Lydon (Kiltimagh)

Latest Sport

Positive start to McStay era

FOOTBALL Columnist Billy Joe Padden gives his thoughts after watching Mayo draw with Galway in the first round of the National League

Read more ...

Mayo hit the road to Armagh

FOOTBALL Mike Finnerty sets the scene ahead of Sunday’s trip to Armagh for Kevin McStay and his team

Read more ...

Pitch invaders ‘frustrate’ officials

FOOTBALL A leading Mayo GAA officer admits that last Saturday night’s pitch invasion in Castlebar was ‘a little bit frustrating’

Read more ...

Opening night doesn’t disappoint

FOOTBALL Anne Marie Flynn gives a fan’s perspective on last Saturday night’s clash between Mayo and Galway and the dramatic ending

Read more ...

Did Mayo win or lose a point?

FOOTBALL Edwin McGreal assesses Mayo’s draw with Galway and looks at some of the talking points behind the final scoreline

Read more ...