Wed, Feb
17 New Articles

Westport book final ticket with last-gasp winner



Westport 1-11
Castlebar Mitchels 1-10

Mike Finnerty

A GOAL in the fourth minute of additional time from super-sub Shane Scott catapulted Westport into the Mayo SFC Final for the first time since 1991 at Hastings Insurance MacHale Park in Castlebar on Sunday.
The pre-match favourites looked set for a shock exit when Castlebar Mitchels’ Ethan Gibbons converted a penalty two minutes earlier to put the underdogs two points in front.
But Westport managed to create one last goalscoring chance, and Scott fired the ball to the Mitchels net for a last-gasp winner.
In what was a dour affair played in front of a big crowd, Westport also led at half-time by 0-7 to 0-5 with Lee Keegan (2), Conal Dawson, Kevin Keane and Paul Lambert kicking the best of their scores.
Mitchels kept in touch with points from Ethan Gibbons (3, two frees), Seán Morahan and Ultan O’Reilly.
The second half was played along similar lines, with both teams largely cancelling each other out in a cagey and tactical affair.
By the 55th minute it looked like things were going to pan out along expected lines with Westport ahead by 0-11 to 0-8 after substitute Alan Kennedy fired over two scores in quick succession.
But Mitchels came roaring back into contention with a late burst and points from subs Conor Stenson and Mark Cunningham set up a nail-biting finish.
Things then took a dramatic twist in added-time when referee Declan Corcoran awarded a penalty for a foul on Castlebar substitute Mark Cunningham, and Ethan Gibbons stepped up to bury the penalty past Paddy O’Malley.
Westport were staring at a shock defeat at that stage but Shane Scott’s goal in the dying moments saw Martin Connelly’s men rescue victory from the jaws of defeat.
They will now meet Ballina Stephenites in the final in two weeks’ time.

P O’Malley; L Tunney, R Brickenden, N McManamon; L Shevlin, B McDermott, Paul Lambert (0-1); L Keegan (0-2), B O’Malley; C Dawson (0-2, 1f), F McDonagh, O McLaughlin; K Keane (0-1), M Moran, Pat Lambert (0-3, 2fs).
Subs used: A Kennedy (0-2, 1f) for Pat Lambert; S Scott (1-0) for McLaughlin.

Castlebar Mitchels
R Byrne; S Morahan (0-2), J Tuohy, D Newcombe; M Fahy, G McDonagh, D McHugh; P Durcan (0-1), A O’Boyle; U O’Reilly (0-1), E Gibbons (1-4, 1-0pen, 3fs), B Tuohy; G Durcan, P Heneghan, E Murphy.
Subs used: M Cunningham (0-1) for Heneghan; C Stenson (0-1) for Newcombe; P Walsh for McDonagh.

Referee: K Connelly (Hollymount-Carramore).

Latest Sport

Positive start to McStay era

FOOTBALL Columnist Billy Joe Padden gives his thoughts after watching Mayo draw with Galway in the first round of the National League

Read more ...

Mayo hit the road to Armagh

FOOTBALL Mike Finnerty sets the scene ahead of Sunday’s trip to Armagh for Kevin McStay and his team

Read more ...

Pitch invaders ‘frustrate’ officials

FOOTBALL A leading Mayo GAA officer admits that last Saturday night’s pitch invasion in Castlebar was ‘a little bit frustrating’

Read more ...

Opening night doesn’t disappoint

FOOTBALL Anne Marie Flynn gives a fan’s perspective on last Saturday night’s clash between Mayo and Galway and the dramatic ending

Read more ...

Did Mayo win or lose a point?

FOOTBALL Edwin McGreal assesses Mayo’s draw with Galway and looks at some of the talking points behind the final scoreline

Read more ...