Sun, Jan
21 New Articles

Sunday's Mayo club championships round-up



SFC Group 2
Ballina Stephenites 3-9
Knockmore 0-11

Mike Finnerty

DEFENDING champions Knockmore crashed to a surprise defeat against neighbours Ballina Stephenites in the second round of the Mayo SFC on Sunday.
Goals from Dylan Thornton, Evan Regan and Conor McStay propelled the homeside to a fully deserved seven points victory over their neighbours.
The sides had been level after 20 minutes (0-4 apiece) before Knockmore went ahead for the first time with a Peter Naughton free.
But the Stephenites then took the initiative when the outstanding Dylan Thornton palmed a long delivery into the Knockmore net, and a point from Niall Feeney sent the homeside in leading at the break by 1-5 to 0-5.
Niall Heffernan’s side led from there to the finish with Evan Regan’s goal two minutes after the restart and a superb effort from Conor McStay on 45 minutes keeping Knockmore at a safe distance.
The holders only scored two points in the last 20 minutes, from Aidan Orme and Peter Naughton (free) as the Stephenites cruised to their first win of the campaign.

Ballina Stephenites
D Clarke; R Tighe (0-1), P O’Hora, D Tighe; C Boland (0-1), J Irwin, D Loftus; S Callinan, F Irwin (0-2, 1f); J Doherty, C McStay (1-0), D Thornton (1-0); N Feeney (0-2), E Regan (1-2, 2fs), M Birrane.
Subs used: L Doherty for J Doherty; B Collins for Loftus; R Morrin (0-1) for O’Hora; K Tighe for Feeney; K Newell for Thornton.

C Reape; S Holmes, A Naughton, David McHale; A Timlin, K King, M Park; C Dempsey (0-1), S McHale; P Ruttledge, D McHale, D Melvin; K McLoughlin (0-2), A Orme (0-1), P Naughton (0-6, 5fs, ‘45).
Subs used: K Ruttledge (0-1) for Melvin; L Durcan for Timlin; C Bourke for S McHale; N Armstrong for King.

Referee: P Lydon (Kiltimagh)

SFC Group 2
Claremorris 0-13
Belmullet 1-8

Edwin McGreal

CLAREMORRIS responded to a demoralising opening round defeat to Breaffy with an impressive victory away to Belmullet this afternoon.
The South Mayo men were full value for their victory and should have won by more but for some poor final quarter misses.
Belmullet, for whom Ryan O’Donoghue was a fully togged substitute but did not come on, tried to force a late goal to snatch a win but were denied repeatedly by a resolute Claremorris defence.
The winners led at the break and were never pegged back in a second half where James McCormack at midfield and Conor Diskin on the ‘40 led the way.
The visitors took in a 0-7 to 1-3 lead at the break and were full value for it.
Belmullet led by four points after 12 minutes. Eamon McAndrew struck a goal, finishing superbly after a defence-splitting pass from the left wing from Colin Barrett.
James Kelly had opened the scoring with a long range effort but points from James Shaughnessy and Colin Gill had Claremorris in front before McAndrew’s eighth minute goal.
Points from Padraig Cowman and Ronan Murray would augment the goal and Belmullet were in control.
However, that was the last score of the half as Claremorris took over.
Successive points from James McCormack (two frees), goalkeeper Brian McGuinness with a long range beauty, James Shaughnessy and Stephen McGreal turned the game in Claremorris’s favour.
Belmullet struggled to threaten for large portions and only scored one point in over 40 minutes before a late rally gave Claremorris a few nervy moments.
But with two settling scores from substitute Stephen Gill, the visitors did enough to see it out.
“We had a lot of soul searching to do after last weekend against Breaffy. We didn’t really perform. There were some harsh words spoken during the week … We came here with a positive attitude … We needed a response and a reaction from last weekend and they certainly gave us that,” Claremorris manager Kevin Beirne told The Mayo News.

B McGuinness (0-1); P Barry, S Walsh, D Fitzpatrick; A Butler, J Stretton, R Finn; M Macken, J McCormack (0-2, 2fs); M Maloney (0-1), C Diskin, P Cummins (0-1); J Shaughnessy (0-4, 3fs), S McGreal (0-1, mark), C Gill (0-1).
Subs used: D Joyce for Fitzpatrick (h/t); D O’Reilly for Finn (38 mins); S Gill (0-2) for Butler (inj. 50 mins); A Beirne for McGreal (52 mins); M Mullins for Maloney (63 mins).

S Kilker; D Barrett, L Howard, S O’Donoghue; D Dixon (0-1), O O’Donnell, J O’Donnell; E Ivers, F Ryan; P Cowman (0-1,1f), C Barrett, J Kelly (0-1); E McAndrew (1-2, 1f), O Healy, R Murray (0-1).
Subs used: O McHale (0-1) for Healy (27 mins); J Boylan for Cowman (h/t); M Boylan (0-1, m) for Barrett (48 mins); K Conway for Dixon (52 mins); P Cowman for Kelly (58 mins).

Referee: J Henry (Castlebar)

SFC Group 4
Castlebar Mitchels 0-17
Davitts 2-9

Michael Gallagher

THE Mitchels secured a place in the Mayo SFC quarter-finals thanks to a hard-earned win over the home side in Ballindine on Sunday evening.
The former champions were tested to the limit by the hosts from first whistle to last, but the team managed by Barry Moran and Neil Lydon had more power off the bench in the closing stages and that proved to be crucial.
Davitts lined out with the injured Colm Boyle and Castlebar were without the Durcan brothers, James (who is out for the long-term) and his brother Paddy, who picked up a leg injury last week.
The home side got a brilliant start with Ronan McNamara causing panic at full-forward and Niall Treacy rattled home a penalty and followed up with a point for a dream start.
However, Mitchels worked their way back into it and were 0-8  to 1-4 clear at the interval.
They extended the advantage to five going down the home straight, but a goal from McNamara brought the outsiders right back into it with five minutes to play.
However, the Mitchels steadied the ship and kept their noses in front until the final whistle.

K Prendergast; J Flanagan, C Phillips, T Ronayne; D Trench, C Higgins, M Hett; A Macken, R McNamara (1-1, 0-1f); J Clarke, E Ronayne (0-2), S Treacy; N Treacy (1-6, 1-0p, 0-6f), F Kelly, C Corless
Subs used; J Trench, A Macken, L Kearns, J Melvin, B Óg McTigue.

Castlebar Mitchels
R Byrne; S Morahan, J Tuohy, D Newcombe (0-3); M Fahy (0-1), G McDonagh, D McHugh; R Burke, A O’Boyle (0-1); U O’Reilly, N Douglas (0-3, 1f), C Stenson (0-1); B Tuohy, P Heneghan, D Stenson (0-3, 1f)
Subs used; E Gibbons (0-2), R O’Malley, P Walsh (0-1), G Durcan, E Murphy.

Referee: Jon Finn (Aghamore)

SFC Group 4
Charlestown 1-14
Garrymore 0-17

Michael Gallagher

A THRILLING battle in Fr O’Hara Park ended in stalemate and left both sides frustrated. Garrymore weren’t happy that they had to battle tooth and nail for a draw after leading by six points early in the game, while Charlestown were devastated to be caught at the death by a late Darren Quinn free.
Both sides were also frustrated by some of the calls made by the referee who had a hard job on his hands to keep a handle on a very well-contested game.
The star of the show was Paul Towey. The Mayo forward kicked ten points, one better than the next, and lit up proceedings with his style and panache.
Garrymore got off to a flying start and were six clear after just 12 minutes but Charlestown can never be written off, and when Joe McBrien blasted home a goal after 14 minutes they were back with a bang.
The home side powered on and were two points clear at the interval, 1-7 to 0-8, but Garrymore blitzed them on the restart with Quinn particularly impressive and substitute Gary Golden having a big impact.
Things were nip and tuck all the way through the half, and when Ciaran McGrath kicked Garrymore level five minutes from the end the stage was set for a grandstand finish.
Towey seemed to have won it for Charlestown on the run-in, but a point from Trevor Nally and an injury-time long-range free from Quinn secured a share of the spoils for Garrymore.

P Walsh; B Conway, C O’Donoghue, J Corley; D Caffrey, E McLoughlin, G McLoughlin (0-1); P Goldrick, G O’Donnell; T Meehan (0-1), P Towey (0-10, 5fs), R Cullen (0-1); J McBrien (1-0), M Lenehan, J Mahon
Subs used: N Fleming (0-1), A Woods, D Warde, S Dunleavy.

B Lynskey; C Commins, C Crowe, P Hession; E Hession, C McGrath (0-2), S Nally (0-1); D Dolan, K Lydon; C Slattery, T Nally (0-2), D Quinn (0-7, 5f); M Connolly, M Gibbons (0-3, 1f), A Hughes (0-2, 1f)
Subs used; G Golden, J Killeen, M Tierney.

Referee: J Walker (Cill Chomain)

IFC Group 1
Louisburgh 3-17
Lahardane 1-7

Cormac O’Malley

LOUISBURGH racked up their second successive win with ease on Sunday afternoon.
This game was won and lost either side of the half-time break as the West Mayo side turned a three point lead at the midpoint of the first half into a 13-point advantage going into the final quarter to take control of Group One and virtually guarantee their place in the knockout stages.
First half goals from Dylan Prendergast and Oisin Lally helped the winners to lead by 2-9 to 1-4 at the break with James Maughan hitting the net for the homeside.
The result was put beyond doubt when long-serving Louisburgh defender Alan Moran sent a rocket into the top corner seven minutes into the second half.
Ronan O’Grady’s men round out the group against Bonniconlon, but will already be looking forward to better last year’s semi-final exit.
Lahardane, meanwhile, must rally for a ‘must win’ game against neighbours Crossmolina.

J Queenan, K O’Malley, B Leonard, K Loftus, J McHale, J Maughan (0-1), J Maughan, S Finnerty (1-3, 2fs), D Walsh, M Maughan (0-1), M Noone, C Finnerty, C Reilly (0-1), A Leonard (0-1, 1f), D Langan.
Subs used: K Lynn, K Jordan, E Fergus, J Joyce.
S Nallen (0-4, 2‘45s, 2fs), D O’Malley, E O’Malley, B MacLeod, S Corrigan, R Prendergast, A Moran (1-0), Paul Prendergast (0-1), Padraic Prendergast (0-1), P O’Malley (0-2), J Dowd (0-1),  M Dawson, M Ball, O Lally (1-0), D Prendergast (1-5, 2fs).
Subs used: K Gibbons (0-3) for Lally, T Dawson for Paul Prendergast, S Keane 0-1, J O’Reilly, M Gibbons.

Referee: M Daly (Ballyhaunis)

IFC Group 1
Crossmolina 4-11
Bonniconlon 0-4

Cormac O’Malley


THE Deel Rovers bounced back from their opening round defeat and threw off the shackles to make light work of the challenge of Bonniconlon at St Tiernan’s Park.
Brian Benson’s team got off to the perfect start with a goal inside the first minute form Jordan Flynn and they never looked back after that.
A second goal from Diarmaid Walsh on 12 minutes opened up some more daylight between the teams.
Bonni’ did reduce the deficit with two frees from Ronan Neary leaving the visitors five points down, but disaster struck for them before the interval as Conor Loftus converted a penalty for Crossmolina.
That left the homeside ahead by 3-3 to 0-3.
The winners pulled away as the second half wore on with Fionan Duffy kicking a string of scores before a second penalty from Loftus was dispatched to the Bonniconlon net.

JP Mulhern; Feargal Duffy, S Duffy, F Gill; P McAndrew, M Loftus, D Caden; K Mulhern, D Syron; D Coggins, C Loftus (2-1, 2-0 pens, ‘45),  J Flynn (1-2); N Coggins, Fionán Duffy (0-7, 2fs), D Walsh (1-1).
Subs used: C Rowland, C Carolan, J Murphy, E O’Boyle, B Murphy.

D Devine; M Boyd, E Greavy, R Conlon; J Kelly, M Rafter, N Greavy; J Lavelle, R McKenzie; S Neary, C Igoe, B O’Malley; R Neary (0-3,3fs), A Harrington (0-1), D Walsh.
Subs used: W Loftus, C Kelly, P Durcan, J Rafter, D Ruane.

Referee: R Gurren (Aghamore)

Parke 3-14
Kiltane 2-11

Mike Kelly

GOALS win games and Parke's ability to grab theirs at vital times was the catalyst for their six point win over Kiltane in Parke on Sunday.
Two goals in a first-half minute from Sean Sweeney and Chris Kerins opened up a six point lead for the home side that the visitors were never able to close.
A late goal from Mike Doran gave Kiltane a puncher's chance as they closed the gap to four points in the final ten minutes, but they couldn't get the third goal they desperately needed.

Two goals for Chris Kerins, and six points from the boot of Ronan Carolan, were the stand-out scorers for Parke while Tommy Conroy, Ultan Corrigan and John Reilly led Kiltane's late attempt at a comeback.

C McDonnell; C McHale, A Moran, M Walsh; R Reilly (0-2), A McHale (0-1), A Hurst; D Neary, C Donohue; S Cloherty (0-2), S Corcoran (0-2,2fs), J McLoughlin; S Sweeney (1-2), R Carolan (0-5,2fs), C Kerins (2-0).
Subs used: J Doocey, M Loftus, D Kelly.

K Holmes; J Conroy, C Carey, A Coyle; D Conroy, A Carabine(0-4,4fs), N Ginnelly; M Gallagher, L Donoghue (0-1,1f); J Healy, T Conroy, PJ Gaughan (0-1); U Corrigan (0-1,1f), J Reilly (1-1), M Doran (1-2).
Subs used: O Doherty, S Gallagher, S Gaughan, B McAndrew (0-1).

Referee: K Connelly (Hollymount Carramore)

IFC Group 4
Hollymount/Carramore 1-12
Kilmeena 0-12

Oisín McGovern

HOLLYMOUNT/CARRAMORE are back in business after a fine second half display saw them defeat Kilmeena by three points in ‘The Saucer’.
Mayo forward Darren Coen led the way with a tally of 1-8 — all from frees and a penalty – as the homeside outscored last season’s All-Ireland Junior champions by 0-9 to 0-3 in the second half.
Kilmeena were the better team in the first half, with Darragh Keaveney hitting six points out of a haul of eight (including three frees).
Holly/Carra looked set to dominate after Darren Coen converted a penalty after a foul which saw Kilmeena’s Stephen Staunton black-carded.
However, Kilmeena kicked three without reply in his absence and were three points up at half-time.
However, they failed to kick on in the second half (only scoring once from play) and Hollymount/Carramore slowly worked their way in front despite losing Dylan Jennings to a black card.

N Campbell; S Conroy, S Coen (0-1), C Geraghty; C Geraghty, B Sheridan, E Maloney; N Moran, P Feerick; M Saunders, D Jennings, T Morris (0-1); C Heneghan (0-1), D Coen (1-8, 8fs, 1 pen), D Morris (0-1).
Subs used: John Walsh for Sheridan (28 mins); C Keane for Heneghan (38 mins).

P Groden; J Mulchrone, J Keane, J Ryan; C Hastings, S Staunton, K Joyce; J Carney (0-2), K Ryder; C Madden, S Ryder (0-1), L Moore; D Keavney (0-8, 3fs), D O’Malley, J Smyth.
Subs used: C McDonagh for O’Malley (34 mins); K Sheridan for Ryder (50 mins); T Gill (0-1, 1f) for Joyce (57 mins).

Referee: V Neary (Bonniconlon)

IFC Group 4
Kilmaine 5-11
Kiltimagh 1-5

Patrick Hennelly

KILMAINE’S Tomás Fahey scored an incredible hat-trick of goals as the homeside easily saw off the challenge of Kiltimagh on a damp Sunday afternoon.
This tie was over as a contest at the break as a stunning first half display by Kevin Murphy’s troops saw them lead by 3-7 to 0-2 at the short whistle.
By the 16th minute Kilmaine led 2-3 to 0-1, as early goals from the deadly duo of Tomas Fahey and Jarlath Mullin left Kiltimagh shell-shocked.
On 17 minutes, Fahey bagged his second goal, and following a gem of a point from same man after 41 minutes, he then completed his hat-trick of goals in swashbuckling style to muster an unassailable 4-9 to 0-2 lead for the locals.
Kiltimagh’s damage limitation exercise received a boost on 46 minutes, when Cillian Finn goaled from a close-range free.
However, Kilmaine ended the game in impressive fashion when Kevin Mullin compounded Kiltimagh’s misery by netting a fifth goal deep into injury-time.
Following Hollymount-Carramore’s earlier victory against Kilmeena, this group has been thrown wide open.

A Keady; P McDonagh, M Mullin, D. Mullin; D Munroe, O Mullin (0-1), D Varley; M Keady, G Sheridan, C Murphy, A Barrett (0-2f), T Fahey (3-1); M Hession (0-3), J Mullins 1-4, 0-1f), C Hughes.
Subs used: D Acton for Munroe, K Mullin (1-0) for Hughes, N Burke for Murphy, M McDonnell for Varley, T McDonagh for Hession.

M Schlingermann; M Cummins, K Mulderrig, R Carroll; A Creighton, D Lydon, J Forkan; P Kelly, S Walsh; B Gallagher, D Cosgrove, A Cosgrove; C Malee, C Finn (1-2f), T Keegan (0-1f).
Subs used C English for Creighton, L Kelly for R Carroll, R Malee (0-1) for Lydon, O Carroll (0-1) for Walsh, C Gallagher for Keegan.

Referee: C Barnicle (Breaffy)

Junior Championship
THERE were wins today for Eastern Gaels over Ballycastle (5-11 to 2-13), Ardagh over Kilfian (4-15 to 0-4), Killala against Kilmovee (1-12 to 1-11), Tourmakeady over Lacken (1-20 to 1-7) and Shrule/Glencorrib beat Achill by 2-15 to 1-7.

Latest Sport

O’Donoghue delivers as Mayo draw with Galway

FOOTBALL Ryan O’Donoghue was the hero as Mayo drew with Galway on the opening night of the National League in Castlebar.

Read more ...

Mayo girls win Connacht schools crown

FOOTBALL Sacred Heart Westport were too good for Colaiste Bhaile Chláir in Wednesday’s Connacht LGFA PPS Senior ‘A’ Final.

Read more ...

A different league entirely

FOOTBALL Billy Joe Padden sets the scene ahead of the start of Mayo’s National League campaign

Read more ...

5 Mayo ‘prospects’ for 2023

FOOTBALL Mike Finnerty picks out five players who Kevin McStay will be hoping can kick on this season.

Read more ...

The case for Mayo’s defence

FOOTBALL Edwin McGreal outlines why Mayo need to keep things tighter at the back if they are to have a good season.

Read more ...