Thu, Dec
15 New Articles

Mayo club championships round-up



SFC Round 1
Ballaghaderreen 1-7
Ballina Stephenites 0-10

A LAST-MINUTE sucker punch goal from Mayo panellist David McBrien looked to have snatched a surprise win for Ballagh’ — but Conor McStay’s last-gasp equaliser meant that the spoils were shared.
Ballina looked to have the game wrapped up before McBrien’s goal but the homeside almost stole the headlines.
Frank Irwin ran the show for the Stephenites up top, scoring a total of seven points.
The majority of Ballagh’s scores were directed through Kuba Callaghan, who finished with four points to his credit.
A positive for Niall Heffernan’s Ballina was the return to action of Evan Regan, who was fresh off the plane from Las Vegas.
Andy Moran also came off the bench to help Ballagh’ secure a point.

SFC Round 1
Garrymore 2-10
Davitts 0-7

GARRYMORE began the drive for their first senior crown in 40 years with a workmanlike win on home soil.
Their nine-points win was thoroughly deserved as Davitts never really found their rhythm after falling behind 1-4 to 0-0 after just nine minutes.
The guests closed the gap to  five at the interval and were four behind with 12 minutes left, but Garrymore were never in trouble.
Excellent points from Darren Quinn and goals from Mark Gibbons and Micheal Connolly were the highlights.
At the other end, Niall Treacy was very accurate from placed balls but a dead leg injury picked up by Colm Boyle will occupy Davitts' thoughts as they look towards next weekend's battle with Castlebar Mitchels.

SFC Round 1
Westport 3-23
The Neale 0-3

WESTPORT began their quest for Moclair Cup glory with a statement first round victory over The Neale in Cong.
The final scoreline is a fair reflection of the action as the Clew Bay side utterly dominated from start to finish against a Neale team who badly missed the likes of Padraig Walsh and Tommy Conroy.
A goal from Mark Moran and a stream of points from Pat Lambert helped the guests to a 1-13 to 0-1 lead at the interval.
The Neale tried to take a stand in the second period but were overpowered all over the field.
Goals from Paul Lambert and Finbar McLaughlin extended the lead and Westport enjoyed one of their biggest ever championship wins.
Late points from Darragh Moran and Ronan Hughes were the only responses from the home side.

IFC Round 1
Kilmeena 1-13
Kilmaine 2-8

A SUPERB second half display from Kilmeena powered last year’s county Junior champions to a deserved home win against Kilmaine.
Man of the match Darragh Keavney and team captain Seán Ryder led the way as the All-Ireland junior champions made a winning start to their Intermediate campaign.
Kilmeena led after a rain-lashed first half by 1-5 to 1-4 with John McGlynn’s early goal cancelled out by a brilliant finish from Kilmaine’s Jarlath Mullin.
The visitors looked to be in the driving seat when Mullin fired in a second superb goal midway through the second half to put them two points up, but Kilmeena came roaring back and four points from Darragh Keavney (two from play) and a couple from Seán Ryder saw them home in front, despite two late scores at the other end from Tomás Fahey.

IFC Round 1
Kiltimagh 2-14
Hollymount/Carramore 0-11

KILTIMAGH laid down a marker with a comfortable victory over a disappointing Hollymount-Carramore side in Charlestown, running out nine point winners.
Leading by six at the half-time break, two goals from Tomas Keegan and Conor Malee in the space of two minutes in the second-half ensured the East Mayo side would pick up the points with relative ease.
Keegan would finish with 1-4 while Malee hit 1-3 in a stellar attacking performance from Damien Gallagher's team.
The Cosgrove brothers, Aidan and Donovan, made everything tick for Kiltimagh and a stellar midfield performance by Paul Kelly provided the foundation for their victory.
A black card before half-time to county player Darren Coen and a red card for Robert Molloy in the 50th minute compounded a disappointing day for the South Mayo team who must regroup for next weekend’s second round home clash with Kilmeena.

IFC Round 1
Bonniconlon 1-10
Lahardane 0-8

BONNICONLON’S Aodhán Harrington fired a last minute goal to ensure the homeside finally shook off a stubborn Lahardane.
The winners led throughout but Shane Finnerty - who accounted for all but one of Lahardane's scores - kept his side in touch.
Bonniconlon led by 0-6 0-4 at the break but Lahardane reduced the deficit to a solitary point going into the closing five minutes only for Sean Neary and Harrington to edge the homeside across the line.

IFC Round 1
Moy Davitts 2-16
Ardnaree 0-9

MOY DAVITTS sent out a warning to their Intermediate rivals with a 13 points win over Ardnaree on Saturday evening.
The Foxford side hit the net in the eighth minute through Brian Heneghan only for Ardnaree to respond and level matters via John Timlin at the midpoint of the first half.
Moy Davitts kicked on though and Cian McHale was among the scorers as they went in the interval 1-5 to 0-4 in front.
Despite Ardnaree's persistence in the second half, Moy Davitts superior scoring power ensured they wouldn't be caught and Ryan Kenny came off the bench to grab their second goal and bookend a comprehensive victory for one of the championship front-runners.

IFC Round 1
Burrishoole 2-13
Kiltane 1-8

BURRISHOOLE opened their championship campaign with a eight point victory over Kiltane in Bangor.
The west Mayo men were the better side for three quarters of the game and when Alan Ryder found the net in the 42nd minute to open up a nine point lead, it looked like they would cruise to victory.
However, Ciaran O’Hara’s side show grit and resolve to claw their way back into the game with points from Jason Healy and frees from Ultan Corrigan keeping them in the contest.
Kiltane sensed a comeback was on when Corrigan found the net in the 58th minute to leave just a goal between the sides.
However Brian McLoughlin’s charges kept their composure kicking the next two points and
substitute Cathal Breslin put the icing on the cake with a goal deep in injury-time.

ELSEWHERE, in the Mayo Intermediate championship, Ballyhaunis came back from being nine points down at half-time (0-4 to 2-7) to draw with Castlebar Mitchels B (0-14 to 2-8). Philip Ruddy and goalkeeper Barry Redmond scored the Mitchels' goals but nine points from Jason Coyne proved crucial in the homeside's revival.


In the Mayo Junior championship, there were wins for Cill Chomáin over Eastern Gaels (1-11 to 0-9) and Islandeady beat Killala by 0-11 to 0-9.

Latest Sport

Mayo GAA accounts show €1.1m surplus

GAA The annual Mayo GAA financial report to next Sunday’s County Convention has been described as ‘extremely satisfactory’ and shows a surplus of €1.1m

Read more ...

Seven top Mayo LGFA posts unfilled

FOOTBALL Last weekend’s Annual General Meeting of Mayo LGFA ended without a number of posts — including chairperson — failing to be filled

Read more ...

The big interview: Ronan Kirrane

GAA The outgoing Mayo GAA Assistant Secretary from Davitts GAA club has been outlining why he feels he should be the next Mayo GAA Secretary

Read more ...

The big interview: Mary Prenty

GAA The current Mayo GAA Planning and Training Officer from Ballyhaunis GAA club has been outlining why she feels she should be the next Mayo GAA Secretary

Read more ...

Mayo LGFA squads to increase to 40 players

FOOTBALL A motion to increase Mayo LGFA underage squads by ten players passed by just one percent at last weekend’s Annual General Meeting

Read more ...