17
Mon, Jan
18 New Articles

Change is coming – Prenty

Sport

PLENTY TO PONDER Connacht GAA Secretary John Prenty during the GAA Special Congress at Croke Park in Dublin on Saturday. Pic: Sportsfile

Football championship revamp must happen after Proposal B fell, says Connacht Council Secretary

Michael Gallagher
Bekan

Proposals aimed at revamping the All Ireland football season were rejected at Saturday’s GAA Special Congress in Croke Park, but Connacht Council Secretary, John Prenty says change is coming down the track.
Speaking to The Mayo News shortly after Motion 19 (Proposal B) received 50.6 percent of votes when 60 percent was needed for its adoption, Prenty said the hunger for change is huge and it’s only a matter of time before we see it.
“There was a great discussion today and it came down 50/50 in the end. The big problem with the proposal was the way it was framed and the amount of changes needed which would have had to go back to another congress. Most people thought it was better to come back with a correct plan rather than something which would have to be modified,” he said, before agreeing that a revamp of the championship is badly needed.
“We need change, maybe not Plan B, but we need change and we need it quickly. I’ll always maintain that the provincial championships should have a big part to play in the All Ireland series and that was a weakness in Plan B today. We’ll now have to go away and come up with a plan to incorporate change and maintain the provincial championships.
“Connacht championship games are huge occasions but they wouldn’t be huge occasions in January or February and that was felt widely among the delegates today. Throw in the fact that three teams from Division 1 wouldn’t get to play in the All Ireland series while teams in lower divisions would, was another aspect that didn’t sit well with a lot of delegates.
“There’s no doubt, the current championship structures are not working and to be honest a lot of counties haven’t a lot to play for. We have to design a championship where they have something meaningful to play for and I don’t think today’s Plan B did a lot for them in that regard either,” he said.
Mayo manager James Horan was in agreement with Prenty. Speaking on RTÉ in Bekan where he was watching club championship action, the Ballintubber man said he wasn’t surprised Proposal B had been rejected.
“I was never too sure about it. I think a league-based championship is the way to go but I’m not sure if what was voted on today was the right format. My worry was the amount of Division 1 teams who wouldn’t get a crack at the All Ireland series while Division 3 and Division 4 teams would. Some of the nuances around that need to be ironed out and eventually I think a league-based format is where we will end up, which would produce good games on a more regular basis and I think that’s what everyone wants,” he said.

Latest Sport

Key Mayo forwards on way back

FOOTBALL Mayo manager James Horan had a positive injury update on two experienced attackers ahead of the start of the National League

Read more ...

5 debutants who caught our eye

FOOTBALL We picked out five Mayo players who started for the first time against Galway last weekend against Galway

Read more ...

Mayo-Galway streaming nets €50k

FOOTBALL Connacht GAA reaped a big windfall from the online streaming of last Friday’s FBD Connacht League clash

Read more ...

Kilmeena’s Ryan rolls back years

FOOTBALL Niall Ryan scored a goal in last Saturday’s Connacht Junior club final — 19 years after he did the same thing in a provincial final

Read more ...

Autism Camp all about taking part

SOCCER John Corless paid a visit to Manulla FC recently to meet some of the people involved in a brilliant initiative

Read more ...