Skip to content
Landing page show after 5 seconds.
07
Tue, Jul
1 New Articles

Moylette stays positive despite setback

Sport

DISAPPOINTED Ray Moylette is unsure when he will be back in the ring again to fight competitively. Pic: Michael McLaughlin

Big fight in Boston pulled due to Coronavirus

Ger Flanagan

‘SUGAR Ray’ Moylette admitted he is ‘heartbroken’ after his New England title fight in Boston fell foul of Covid-19 last weekend, but says he is remaining ‘very positive’.
The Islandeady native was set to take to the ring for a St Patrick’s Day grudge fight with Clones native Larry Fryers in Boston last Saturday night. However, shortly after arriving into the city, the Mayo welterweight received news that the Murphy’s Boxing card had to be pulled due to the ongoing global pandemic.
This was the second time this title fight has had to be postponed; the first coming last July when visa issues prevented Celtic Warrior Boxing Club fighter from entering the USA and taking part in a fight that could potentially land Moylette a ranking inside the world top 15.
“The call came through around lunchtime that the fight was being cancelled,” Moylette told The Mayo News last night (Monday). “I was heartbroken, even though I had expected it, but I was trying to stay positive.
“I had prepared hard for this, training for the last 15 months waiting for my chance, and this is the second time it has been taken away from me due to circumstances out of my control – I was heartbroken.
“The corona virus is very serious and it has closed down things much more important than this, but it’s a difficult one to take on the chin.”
Moylette’s frustrations are understandable when you consider that he has now not fought since his first career loss against Christian Uruzquieta in Castlebar in December 2018.
Although the possibility of last weekend’s fight being called off had been mooted before the call came through officially, Moylette was tunnel-visioned on competing.
Although he does admit the call to cancel was the right one.
“I just cared about going into the ring and fighting,” he said. “The coronavirus was only in my way and I didn’t realise how serious it was because I hadn’t thought about it, hadn’t given it consideration.
“All that was on my mind for the last few weeks was the fight and I was willing to put everyone in danger – my family, my team, myself – obviously just to get it over the line.
“Thankfully I came to my senses quickly and realised that the health of myself, my team and all my supporters is far more important than any fight.
“I’m thankful they they’re all safe and hopefully we can all get through it together.”
The former World Amateur champion arrived back in Ireland over the weekend and admitted he is unsure when he will be able to get back in the ring.
However, he says he’ll be back in the gym immediately, and also has the reality of his first child arriving later in the year to keep him occupied.
“I’ll return to the gym to get ticking over and it could be the middle of the year until any fight gets sorted – or any sporting event,” he said. “It’s all up in the air but I’m not panicking, I’ve come to the realisation that once everyone is OK, I’ll be happy.
“I arrived home yesterday (Monday). We tried to change flights to get home earlier but the website crashed and like everyone, they’re overwhelmed.
“We’ll take this as another chapter and I’m looking forward to getting home to my family and my pregnant wife. I still have to take the necessary precautions to follow up and check. The last thing you want is to be a carrier [of the virus].
“I’m staying very positive. I’ll be ready when the chance comes and I’m grateful that I can say that.”

Latest Sport

Season better late than never

FOOTBALL Billy Joe Padden reflects on the news that the inter-county season is set to restart and how the Mayo players are likely to feel about it

Read more ...

Mayo’s five-point plan

FOOTBALL James Horan’s team’s season could be defined by five games in five weeks when the season restarts in mid-October

Read more ...

Should the club leagues have been axed?

FOOTBALL Fionan Duffy (Crossmolina) and Ger Flanagan (Balla) argue their cases after the majority of clubs voted not to play the Mayo GAA Senior Leagues this year

Read more ...

MacHale Park repayments ‘a savage burden’ on clubs

GAA The chairman of Lacken Sarsfields GAA club Paddy Connor has asked the Mayo GAA Board to try and reduce the burden on clubs in the county

Read more ...

Quickfire questions with Patrick Murphy

HANDBALL The Claremorris handball star took time out from his busy schedule to give us a glimpse into his life during the lockdown

Read more ...

Listen now to our podcast

M Logo PODCAST