Mayo boxer annoyed by lightweight debate
RAY MOYLETTE has dismissed suggestions that making weight was a factor in him suffering his first pro’ career loss earlier this month.
The Islandeady lightweight boxer, who lost out on a split decision to Mexican Christian Uruzquieta after a bruising 10-round battle in Castlebar on Friday week last, also signalled his intentions to fight at the 135lb weight in the future, saying he made the cut easier than ever.
“I went to Mass that Sunday morning and four or five people, who I didn’t know, came up and told me that the weight killed me and I shouldn’t have went to it,” the 28 year-old told The Mayo News last night (Monday). “It pissed me off, and I never use language like that or ever want to come across aggressive in interviews, because I’m not like that.
“But the weight wasn’t an issue, and I could easily have put my hand up and said that’s why I lost. But that’s not the reason because I actually made weight easier than I ever did before and I couldn’t let that be said.”
Moylette returned to some light training last week as he plans on preparing for his comeback fight in 2019, which he says will be at the same weight.
“I feel a lot of people don’t know enough about it [weight] and wanted to sound knowledgeable and jumped on the bandwagon. I was disappointed with it,” he said. “The weight wasn’t an issue and I will be continuing with that weight for as long as I can.
“I can be way more competitive at that weight moving forward.”