MAYO GAA chiefs met separately with Stephen Rochford and a delegation of senior players last week to review the 2018 season and to discuss plans for next year.
Rochford, who informed County Board chairman, Mike Connelly, that he intended to continue in his role earlier this month is currently in the process of recruiting a number of people to join his management team for next season.
Connelly and four other Mayo GAA officials met with Mayo captain Cillian O’Connor and vice-captains Tom Parsons and Aidan O’Shea on Thursday evening in MacHale Park, Castlebar for an annual review meeting.
The board then met with Rochford in MacHale Park on Friday, and are due to sit down with the manager again in around a fortnight, by which time he aims to have nailed down a number of individuals to work with him and selector Joe Keane.
Rochford was given a two-year extension to his term last October, bringing him to the end of 2020. “He still has to put together a backroom team and he’s hoping to have that done by the end of next week so that’s where it’s at,” Mike Connelly told The Mayo News last night.
“I said ‘when you have them (names) on your ticket, put them on the table’ so that’s where it was left.
“Stephen is there, he is the manager. What has changed is that three of his team have stepped down. He has to get new management so I suppose when that happens we will discuss all that and take it from there.”
Connelly admitted that finding suitable, high quality replacements for Donie Buckley, Tony McEntee and Peter Burke, who have all left the set-up in recent weeks, was of paramount importance.
“Absolutely. And I think that would be Stephen’s take on it as well. He wants good people as well because he wants to be successful,” he said.
Connelly said the meeting with the players was an annual review required for every county. He said they reviewed the year, discussed the future, and described it as ‘a good meeting’.
The chairman confirmed that the Mayo players would have no input into the formulation of the management team.