Wed, Feb
1 New Articles

JP strikes five times for Westport

JP strikes five times


Westport Utd     6
Iorras Aontaithe 3

FIVE goals from the excellent JP O’Gorman fired Westport into their second successive FCS Cup final after defeating Iorras Aontaithe side at the Sports Park on Thursday evening last.
It was the largest individual goal tally for a United player since Dessie O’Malley scored eight goals against Bangor Hibs in 2008.
The home side got off to a flyer early on as Austin O’Malley’s through ball found O’Gorman, and the former Ballinrobe Town striker made no mistake.
However, the visitors weren't about to lie down, and after a lot of pressure, they finally scored when Mickey T Togher headed the ball past Micheál Gibbons in the Westport goal.
Things were about to get even better for the north Mayo outfit as a wonderful flighted free kick from Brendan Nallen found the head of Anthony Mills, who made it 2-1 to the visitors.
The league leaders needed something different, and parity was restored when Vinny O’Malley found O’Gorman, who again finished well past Ivan Barrett.
With half time approaching, the home side upped the tempo once more. When a Vinny O’Malley shot was parried by Barrett, the ball fell kindly for David Cameron, and it was 3-2 at the break.
In the second half, Iorras’ Eamon McAndrew had a couple of glorious chances but was foiled by the excellent Gibbons, who kept his side ahead. With 15 minutes to play, O’Gorman grabbed his hat-trick when an Alan Carroll pass was finished on the volley, giving Barrett no chance.
Iorras, to their credit, came at Westport again, and substitute Jason Boyle gave his side hope with a deflected effort that looped over Gibbons.
However the Covies put this game to bed as two further O’Gorman goals made sure of victory. But the game did finish on a sour note for the locals as long-serving defender Martin Geraghty was shown a straight red card by referee Kevin Cox after an off-the-ball incident.
Westport will play Ballina Town in the FCS Cup final on the weekend of August 18/19 after they overcame Manulla 2-0 in the other semi-final on Thursday evening.

Westport United

M Gibbons, A O’Malley, K Joyce, M Geraghty, S Tagg, D Browne, D Cameron, G McLoughlin, A Carroll, JP O’Gorman, V O’Malley.
Subs used: D Horkan for A O’Malley; J Fallon for V O’Malley; S Higgins for Cameron.

Iorras Aontaithe
I Barrett, M Meeneghan, D Reilly, B Nallen, D Healy, T McAndrew, S Gaughan, A Mills, M T Togher, E McAndrew, M Gilbert.
Subs used: S Nallen for T McAndrew; J Boyle for Gilbert; E Reilly for D Reilly.

Referee: K Cox

Latest Sport

Ballinrobe CS lose semi-final to Sligo's Summerhill

FOOTBALL There will be no Mayo team in the Connacht Post-Primary Schools Senior 'A' FC Final after Summerhill beat Ballinrobe CS on Thursday evening.

Read more ...

St Colman's pipped after extra-time thriller

FOOTBALL Claregalway College edged out St Colman's College, Claremorris in Wednesday's epic Connacht Post-Primary Schools Senior 'A' FC semi-final.

Read more ...

Positive start to McStay era

FOOTBALL Columnist Billy Joe Padden gives his thoughts after watching Mayo draw with Galway in the first round of the National League

Read more ...

Mayo hit the road to Armagh

FOOTBALL Mike Finnerty sets the scene ahead of Sunday’s trip to Armagh for Kevin McStay and his team

Read more ...

Pitch invaders ‘frustrate’ officials

FOOTBALL A leading Mayo GAA officer admits that last Saturday night’s pitch invasion in Castlebar was ‘a little bit frustrating’

Read more ...