Search

17 Feb 2026

Mayo fans thanked for support of Donegal cancer flight petition

Donegal Cancer Flights and Services received 1,500 signatures outside O'Donnell Park before the National League tie

Mayo fans thanked for support of Donegal cancer flight petition

Mayo and Donegal clashed in Round Three of the National Football League Division One in O'Donnell Park, Letterkenny. Pic: Sportsfile/Donegal Live

Donegal Cancer Flights & Services have extended their gratitude to Mayo GAA supporters as they
gained a further 1,500 signatures on their petition to save the midday Donegal-Dublin flight.

It brings the total number of people who have signed the petition to 18,000, and a meeting between the group and Darragh O'Brien TD, Minister for Transport, is expected next week.

The Department earlier this month executed a new contract with Emerald Airlines for the Donegal-Dublin PSO (Public Services Obligation) air service.

However, the new terms have sparked significant backlash, with the traditional midday service being
removed.

Instead, the schedule will shift to an early 6.30 am flight from Dublin and an 8.30 pm return from Donegal.

Donegal took on Mayo in Division 1 of the National Football League on Sunday in Letterkenny, with the
home side winning out on a 1-19 to 0-14 scoreline.

The Donegal Cancer Flights & Services charity, who say over 500 patients avail of the flights from
Carrickfinn and local leaders have protested the changes, stating that the midday flight is a 'medical
lifeline' for patients travelling for treatment who cannot manage the early/late timings.

The petition was created by Mary Coyle, who manages Donegal Cancer Flights and Services, and said that in the last week alone, three more patients have availed of the service.

“There was great positivity from everyone who was there,” she said. “Thank you to the Donegal County Board and to St Eunan’s GAA club for facilitating us.

"And to all our visitors from Mayo, we may have been rivals on the pitch, but your support was invaluable."

A delegation from Donegal Cancer Flights & Services last week in the capital met with senior officials
from the Department of Transport to discuss the Donegal–Dublin PSO air service.

Ms Coyle, Parish Priest of Gaoth Dobhair, Fr Brian O’Fearraigh, Maureen McElaney, Mary McFadden, Declan Ferry and Cáitlín Griffin were joined by Donegal TDs Pat the Cope Gallagher TD, Pearse Doherty TD, Charles Ward TD, Pádraig MacLochlainn TD, and Charlie McConalogue TD talked with Ken Spratt, Secretary General at the Department of Transport, and colleagues Ethna Brogan, Assistant
Secretary, Aviation and Emergency Planning; Conor Gallagher, Special Adviser in the Department of
Transport and Nicola Hayes, Principal Officer, Airports Division.

“We want to meet the Minister and hope there is progress from last week and discussions with the
airline,” Ms Coyle added.

“We only learned the contract had been signed because of an accidental leak, and we cannot understand why there is not a professional channel of communications - it’s unbelievable this happened this way.

"In the last week alone, we have had three new patients, and that shows the service is growing at an alarming rate.”

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.