08
Thu, Dec
15 New Articles

Teen assaulted double-transplant recipient

News

Teen assaulted double-transplant recipient


A TEEN who hit a double-transplant recipient a number of times in a shop in Castlebar appeared before the Children’s Court in Castlebar last week.
The court heard that the 16-year-old male, who cannot be named as he is under the age of 18, bumped into another male at Garryduff Stores, Castlebar, on February 7 last.
The other male told the teen ‘you should watch where you’re going’. The youth left the shop to return to the car his mother was in. However, he subsequently returned to the shop where he struck the man a number of times on the head.
The court was told that the 33-year-old man had previously undergone both a pancreas transplant and a liver transplant. As he is ‘very aware’ of his condition, he travelled to Mayo General Hospital after the assault. He also experienced ringing in his ears in the aftermath of the incident.
Defending solicitor Cathy McDarby said her client made a statement to gardaí admitting to the assault. Ms McDarby told the court that her teenage client was assaulted ‘quite badly’ with a baseball bat a number of weeks before the incident, and that this could have had something to do with his reaction on the day.
The court heard that the youth said he ‘blanked out’, and that all he remembered was being dragged out of the shop.
Judge Mary Devins told the youth he needed to work out how to deal with his anger, before putting the matter back to April 10, 2014, for an updated probation report.