Fri, Jan
20 New Articles

Blacksod man died after crashing into lamppost

Blacksod man died after crashing into lamppost

Anton McNulty

A BLACKSOD man who died shortly after his car crashed into a lamppost in Binghamstown died from abdominal bleeding, the inquest into his death heard.
Peter Joseph (PJ) Garrett of Devlane, Clogher Post Office, Belmullet died in the emergency department of Mayo General Hospital on October 19, 2011 a few hours after crashing his car. The accident took place along the R313, Belmullet to Blacksod road at approximately 12 noon along a straight section of road in the village of Binghamstown.
While there were no eye witnesses to how the accident occurred, the inquest heard that Mr Garrett’s Suzuki Wagon R collided with a lamppost and his car rose on two wheels before turning and landing facing a wall on the road.
The 59-year-old bachelor had been treated for cancer following the discovery of a tumour on his brain and was given ten months to live by doctors the previous June.
In a statement read by Inspector Joe Doherty, Martin Mangan said he was coming out of a crossroads when he saw a blue car coming down off its two wheels. As he approached the car, he noticed the driver was unconscious and his head was sideways towards the driver’s door. He was the first person at the car and dialled 999 and waved traffic down.
Margaret Walker explained that she was driving when she came upon the accident and went to assist because she had occupational first aid. She put him in the recovery position and noted that he was breathing but would take a sharp breath and stop.
When the ambulance arrived, he was taken from the car and brought to Mayo General Hospital but did not respond to treatment and died a short time after arrival.
Sergeant Gabriel McLoughlin, the PSV inspector who examined the car said it was in a roadworthy condition and did not find evidence of high speed. He said the road was dry and in good condition and concluded the car veered off the road and collided with the lamppost.
Dr Fadel Bennani said his colleague, Dr Nemeth who performed the post mortem said there no evidence of injury to the brain and found the cause of death was due to internal abdominal haemorrhaging. There was no test for alcohol conducted but witnesses who saw him earlier in the day gave no indication he was under the influence.
The jury recorded a verdict of accidental death and Mr John O’Dwyer extended his sympathy to Mr Garrett’s sisters, Rose and Mary. He said that because he was unconscious he would not have suffered discomfort when he died and hoped that was some consolation to the family.

HAVE YOUR SAY email antonmcnulty@mayonews.ie with your comments