MAYO manager James Horan has received some good news on the injury front after it emerged that midfielder Aidan O’Shea’s groin injury is not as bad as was initially feared.
Initially, there were concerns that the 21 year-old’s injury was ‘osteitis pubis’ — an inflammation of the pubic bone — which has a very indefinite recovery period.
While the exact details of O’Shea’s injury were never publicly known, there were serious concerns about when the Breaffy midfielder would be back in action.
However, speaking to The Mayo News last weekend, O’Shea confirmed that a scan earlier this month had shown that there was no damage to the pubic bone itself, with the injury being diagnosed as a tear of the ‘rectus sheath’ at the bottom of his stomach.
O’Shea’s recovery period is now more definite but he admitted that he is still ‘touch and go’ for the Connacht semi-final on June 24.
“It’s progressing well. There’s tears in the (rectus) sheet which is just from wear and tear, twisting and turning. “That’s better news than if it was osteitis pubis so but I’ll be touch and go for the Leitrim game all the same,” he explained.
O’Shea, who is currently working with Allergan in Westport, added that he had been carrying the injury since the Connacht semi-final against Galway last year.
He is currently on a rehab programme which “will help me to manage it as best as I can”, but he may need an operation on the problem at the end of the year.
Meanwhile, Castlebar Mitchels attacker Danny Kirby faces a spell on the sidelines after he pulled his hamstring on Wednesday night last.
However, his Mitchels’ team-mate, Tom Cunniffe, returned to the club colours in their Mayo SFL game against Charlestown on Sunday last.
The experienced county defender was a second-half substitute in Mitchels’ three point win, in what was his first game for club or county since last October.
Mayo panel to be named
THE Mayo manager James Horan has confirmed he will be trimming down his championship squad in the coming week.
“We’ll be finalising the panel in the next week or so but, having said that, we’ve five or six club games between now and the first round of championship, there’s still opportunities there,” he told The Mayo News.
“We’re looking for guys in club football to put their hand up and we’ll be monitoring every game closely to see do guys do that. It [championship panel] is in and around the 30 [players], depending on injuries and how things go.”
Two club games for one weekend
CLUB footballers in Mayo are preparing to play two senior league games on the June Bank Holiday weekend.
An e-mail to club secretaries from County Board Secretary Kevin O’Toole yesterday (Monday) informed clubs that the Competitions Control Committe of Mayo GAA were ‘proposing’ that two games be played in 48 hours on the weekend of June 2-June 4.
The CCC are also ‘looking to play’ a round of league games on the August Bank Holiday weekend, which had previously been left free, ‘if clubs are in agreement’.