FACTS AND FIGURES Club delegates will discuss the issue of media access to Mayo GAA Board meetings tonight (Tuesday) at MacHale Park, Castlebar. Pic: Sportsfile
THE November meeting of the Mayo GAA County Board will take place tonight (Tuesday) in MacHale Park, Castlebar where a discussion regarding ‘media access to County Board meetings’ will be discussed by club delegates.
This comes in light of the decision last month by the County Board to ban members of the media from future meetings after a show of hands by delegates. However, it seems that a motion to vote on the subject was not proposed or seconded at the time and another vote on the matter is expected to take place tonight.
Meanwhile, club delegates are also expected to discuss a letter from the Mayo GAA International Supporters Foundation which was circulated yesterday (Monday) after being originally sent to Mayo GAA’s solicitor, Charlie Gilmartin, last week.
The contents of the letter states that the Foundation provided the Mayo County Board with a deadline of 5pm yesterday (Monday, December 2) to accept an offer that would see the Foundation invest a minimum of €1million in Mayo GAA over the next five years.
The Foundation is still withholding €250,000 from Mayo GAA, raised at their Gala Ball in New York last May, over what they describe as ‘governance issues’.
In the letter, the Foundation now claim that they have received separate pledges of €500,000 and €250,000 from both a new and an existing donor, which together with the withheld funds they possess, puts it in a position to commit the seven figure sum to Mayo GAA over the next five years.
There were a number of conditions included in the letter to which Mayo GAA had to agree to, which include:
• A proper explanation is given by Mayo County Board of how a personal donation of €150,000 that it received from Tim O’Leary, chairman of the Mayo GAA International Supporters Foundation, was used.
• That an independent audit of Mayo GAA’s financial accounts is carried out for the past three years.
• A status report is provided on current sponsorship deals with a commitment that all future deals go through a competitive bid process.
• That the Foundation is allowed provide independent oversight of the bid process for all sponsorship deals.
• That Mayo County Board provides a detailed status report on both the Lough Lannagh (Centre of Excellence) and Academy projects.
• The County Board to provide details of possible mediators for the Foundation’s consideration.
The letter also asks that in the event Mayo GAA cannot provide receipts for how Tim O’Leary’s (Chairman of the Foundation) initial contribution of €150,000 was spent, that the un-vouched amount be returned immediately to O’Leary.
The Foundation also requested an update from the County Board on its recent meeting with Croke Park and Connacht Council and has asked that consideration be given to the Cairde Chorcai fundraising model, which it says has been set-up independent of Cork County Board and on very similar terms to the Foundation.
The Foundation provided the Board with the deadline of 5pm yesterday (Monday) to respond to their request and if that was not accepted, they asked the Board to call an EGM for the club delegates to vote on the offer.
They said that if the option of an EGM is accepted, the Foundation would extend the deadline to Friday, December 6 at 5pm.
The Mayo News understands that the Mayo County Board did not respond to the Foundation’s request by their 5pm deadline on Monday.