14
Thu, Nov
21 New Articles

Mayo GAA responds to claims by clubs

Sport

VIEW FROM THE TOP TABLE County delegates. Pic: Michael McLaughlin


EXCLUSIVE
Ger Flanagan

MAYO GAA chiefs have denied claims made by clubs today (Tuesday) that a statement released after last night’s County Board meeting in MacHale Park, Castlebar contained inaccuracies regarding a ‘motion of confidence’ in the County Board executive.
Charlestown Sarsfields GAA, Louisburgh GAA, Ballycastle GAA and Ardnaree Sarsfields GAA have all issued statements today (Tuesday) on social media in response to the Board’s claim that: ‘a vote of confidence proposed in the Mayo GAA executive and board at tonight's meeting was resoundingly passed by all delegates’.
All four clubs say that no vote took place on this ‘motion of confidence’ at last night’s meeting of club delegates.
“We have been contacted by a number of club members in relation to this issue,” read the Charlestown GAA statement.
“It is our understanding that a motion was proposed by an honorary county board officer who is not a club delegate and seconded by a delegate, but that no vote was held on this very important motion.
“Our club delegate did not vote on this proposal nor was he given the opportunity and we would ask the County Board Executive to clarify last night’s statement.”
However, in response to a number of questions put to County Board officials by The Mayo News this afternoon, Mayo GAA have issued a statement to clarify their position in relation to the ‘motion of confidence’ issue.
“After a lengthy discussion among delegates on how to move forward for the betterment of Mayo GAA, a number of speakers called for support for the Executive to deal with the matter,” reads the statement.
“A motion for a vote of confidence in the Executive was proposed and it was seconded by a number of individuals. There were no objections raised by any club delegate to this motion. As nobody present objected to the motion in any way the motion was taken as passed by all delegates without a vote been required.”
A proposal to ban members of the media from attending any future County Board meetings — with the exception of the County Convention — was also passed on Monday night after a show of hands by the club delegates.
Three of the clubs said they disagreed with this motion being passed in their social media statements — Louisburgh, Charlestown Sarsfields and Ardnaree Sarsfields.
However, today’s statement from Mayo GAA said this proposal was seconded and passed ‘overwhelmingly’ by club representatives.
“There was a motion proposed by members present at the meeting to exclude media from future County Board meetings, a lengthy discussion took place on this topic,” said Mayo GAA in their statement.
“As there were delegates for and against this proposal it was then voted on and was overwhelmingly carried.”

Foundation dispute not discussed
THE meeting of the Mayo GAA County Board that took place in MacHale Park, Castlebar last Monday night did not discuss any matters relating to the recent dispute between Mayo GAA and the Mayo GAA International Supporters’ Foundation.
It had been expected that a range of issues raised in recent correspondence by Mr Tim O’Leary, chairman of Foundation, would be addressed by Mayo GAA officials and club delegates after county chairman Mike Connelly vowed to hold a ‘real heart-to-heart’ meeting last week.
However, a statement prepared by the Executive after the meeting and released by County Board spokesperson, Paul Cunnane, said: “In relation to tonight's meeting to respond to clubs, we received legal correspondence from Tim O'Leary and Eugene Rooney, and based on those letters we have now been advised that we cannot now comment any further on these matters.”
The statement also said that: “There was a vote of confidence proposed in the Mayo GAA executive and board at tonight's meeting which was resoundingly passed by all delegates.”
Chairman Mike Connelly declined to comment after the meeting.

 

MPU Mayo

Latest Sport

Current Mayo crisis is also an opportunity

FOOTBALL Kevin McStay believes that Mayo GAA have an opportunity to change things for the better once their current issues are resolved

Read more ...

Media ban is referred back to Mayo clubs

FOOTBALL The decision to ban members of the media from future County Board meetings has been sent back to club officers for further discussion

Read more ...

No winners in this Mayo GAA saga

FOOTBALL Anne-Marie Flynn outlines why the last few weeks have not been easy for anyone involved in Mayo GAA

Read more ...

Media not to blame for these headlines

FOOTBALL Sean Rice reflects on the decision of Mayo GAA to ban journalists from County Board meetings in the future

Read more ...

Tooreen hurlers chase Connacht crown

HURLING Michael Commins previews next Sunday’s Connacht Intermediate hurling final between Tooreen and Kinvara

Read more ...

Listen now to our podcast

M Logo PODCAST