FORMER Mayo minor football captain Cian Hanley will be staying in Australia with the Brisbane Lions’ AFL club next year.
There had been some speculation recently that the Ballaghadereen native would move back to Ireland after being ‘de-listed’ from the Lions’ AFL squad last month.
However, speaking to The Mayo News last week, the 21 year-old confirmed that he will be resigned for at least one more year when the AFL draft reopens later this month.
“I’ve been getting loads of messages from people asking me [if I’m coming home],” Hanley told The Mayo News. “With me, they [Brisbane Lions] were like, ‘You’ve been injured the last two years and you played last year, and we’re happy with how you’re going. We want to see more of you, but you’re probably not doing enough to be put onto the senior list, but we’re not going to cut you’.
“In our mid-season review they said they were really happy with how I’m going and said, ‘You’re at a stage where we probably didn’t think you would be this quickly, so it’s now about getting your game to the next level’. So I’m happy, it still gives me a chance.”
MEANWHILE, Mayo fans can now start planning for the 2018 season after the fixtures were officially confirmed by the GAA yesterday (Monday).
The Mayo senior footballers will play their first game of the new year on Sunday, January 7 against Galway; their National League campaign begins on Sunday, January 28 away to Monaghan in Clones; and they start their Connacht SFC adventure on Sunday, May 13 at home to Galway.
The Mayo senior hurlers will start their National League season at home to Donegal on Sunday, January 28 also.