Sat, Dec
14 New Articles

Anthony Kilcoyne


Shranacloya, Louisburgh

THE death took place on April 13 of Anthony Kilcoyne at Mayo University Hospital.
Anthony was born in Shranacloya on November 20 1925. He came from a family of 12, seven boys and five girls. Anthony left school at 14 years of age to start work on making roads to bogs for the Land Commission. He worked for some time in England with his brothers and neighbours in construction.
When his brother Tom died he took over the family farm. He liked hard work. He had a love for animals, especially donkeys and cats and he always had a dog. He liked fishing for salmon on the river going through his land.
Anthony liked music and Irish dancing, he enjoyed going to the pubs mixing with the young and old, having a few pints. He reached his ninetieth birthday in November 2015.
In all of Anthony’s  91 years he enjoyed the simple and hard working lifestyle. Anthony’s  house, farm, family and friends were his priorities in life. He was a kind hearted man and touched the hearts of all that knew him. While in England he came home every year to sow his vegetables and potatoes, to provide for whoever was at home.
He enjoyed spring and loved the thought of the turf machine coming to the bog as he knew that people would be going to the bog and that he could have the odd chat when they were passing. He loved his garden. He loved Christmas time and always had a stock up of whiskey and a few tins of biscuits for his annual Christmas visitors. Anthony was a very organised man and if you called at 9 in the morning you were sure to smell the dinner cooking and his favourite was bacon and cabbage, In the last few years of his life he also loved his meals on wheels and was very thankful to all the staff for the lovely dinners.
He always had great welcome for all that came to his door, both young and old, he really enjoyed having kids around him and always had a few bottles of Club Orange and his favourite chocolate bar at the ready for them. He enjoyed his weekly spins into town to collect his pension and the weekly chat with all.
Anthony loved spending time with his family and those who he couldn’t visit he would contact them on his mobile phone. For a man of 91 years he had a very healthy life up to a few weeks ago. Anthony went into hospital about three weeks before he died and he said to his nephew John, that he never had it as handy in all his life and was pleased with the care he was getting and was happy where he was. The nurses always said that he was a pleasure to deal with. When the nurses asked ‘how are you today?’ Anthony he would reply back ‘not too bad’, even if he was in pain.
He will be greatly missed by his sisters, Teresa, Delia, Evelyn; nephews; nieces; extended family; neighbours and friends.
May his gentle soul rest in peace.

Digital Edition