Sat, Jul
19 New Articles

Father asks how son’s killers ‘can live with their conscience’


HAPPIER TIMES Joe Deacy (right) with his father, Adrian, and sister, Charlotte.

Anton McNulty

The family of Joseph Deacy, who died following an attack in Swinford last August, have questioned how his killers ‘can live with their conscience and carry on as if nothing happened’.
Joseph (Joe) Deacy of St Albans, Hertfordshire, UK, died in the specialist neurology unit in Beaumont Hospital in Dublin on Sunday, August 13, 2017, after sustaining serious head injuries.
The 21 year old was discovered outside a house at Gortnasillagh, Swinford, on Saturday, August 12, 2017, by a passer-by at around 6.45am. He was rushed to Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar and subsequently onto Beaumont Hospital, where he died the following afternoon.
A postmortem carried out by State Pathologist Marie Cassidy found the cause of death was a blunt force trauma to the head. Gardaí are treating the death as homicide.
The inquest into Mr Deacy’s death took place in the Dublin Coroner’s Court yesterday and was adjourned to allow for the Gardaí to continue their investigation into the killing.

‘Hope and pray’
In a statement issued by Mr Deacy’s father, Adrian Deacy, on behalf of the family, he supported the request to adjourn the inquest and urged people who know anything regarding his son’s death to go to the Gardaí.
“We fully support An Garda Síochána’s request to the Dublin City Coroner to adjourn the inquest to permit them to continue their investigation into Joe’s tragic death. We hope and pray that their ongoing investigations will eventually result in the arrest and conviction of the people responsible for the killing of our beloved son, Joe.
“We truly believe that someone knows what happened, and every day we question how they can live with their conscience and carry on as if nothing happened,” Mr Deacy said.
An avid Mayo GAA supporter, Joe regularly travelled home to Mayo in the summer and was due to attend the All-Ireland semi-final between Mayo and Kerry, which took place the weekend after his death.
Two men were arrested last November in connection with the death but were later released without charge. The case of Joe’s death featured on the Crimecall programme in January, when his family made an emotional appear for information surrounding his death.