Tue, Mar
23 New Articles

€10,000 worth of catering equipment stolen from takeaway


A BUSINESSMAN has said the theft of over €10,000 worth of goods from his premises in Castlebar has resulted in ‘financial and mental issues’.
Castlebar Circuit Court heard that the theft of catering equipment totalling €10,837 from a takeaway on Thomas St, Castlebar, owned by Gerry Hughes, Fortfield, Castlebar, was carried out in the dead of night.
Sabih Hasan, with an address at Waterside, Ballinrobe but who now lives at Richmond St, Longford entered the premises with two others on May 18, 2015 and took the equipment.
Mr Hasan was sub-leasing the premises from a Mr Mohammed Masiri without the knowledge of the owner.
They removed catering equipment including a commercial hot plate burger frier worth €3,000, two stainless steel tables worth €1,168.50 and two commercial deep at fryers worth €6,000.
A deposit of €5,000 was requested by Mr Hughes, of which €2,000 was paid. Hasan and three others sub leased the premises from Masiri and ran the takeaway from January to April 2015, no rent had been paid during this period.
On May 19 gardaí received a complaint from Mr Hughes and on July 6 gardaí met with Hasan and the equipment was recovered from a shed in Roundfort.
A co-accused, Yasar Ali, was arrested in February 2017 at Dublin Airport and received a two year suspended sentence.
The court has heard Mr Hughes has no quality of life and now depends on a business partner and staff and feels his trust has been ‘undermined’.
Judge Rory McCabe said the matter was a ‘most unsatisfactory course of business’. Judge McCabe said he did not feel that a suspended sentence reflected the gravity of the offence, but said he felt ‘bound to the sentence passed’ against the co-accused.
He added that it was with ‘some reluctance’ he would adopt a similar approach, handing down a three-year prison sentence, which he suspended in its entirety.


Digital Edition