20
Fri, Jul
24 New Articles

Swinford man cannot not recall roundabout crash

News

A court has heard that a man who allegedly drove into a roundabout in Castlebar is sorry for the damage caused, though he cannot remember driving on the night.
Kevin Cassidy of Barnacahoge, Swinford, appeared before Castlebar District Court charged with dangerous driving at Mulroy’s roundabout, Castlebar, on March 22, 2016.
Garda Vincent O’Boyle told the court he responded to a call reporting a traffic collision at the roundabout and on arrival saw an Audi A4 straddling the centre-road white line outside Mulroy’s filling station.
The court heard there was a lot of debris and that the car had travelled 119 metres before coming to a stop. Mr Cassidy was brought to Mayo University Hospital, and Garda Declan Glynn went there a time later to demand a urine or blood sample from him for the purpose of alcohol detection.
Medical staff denied the request, as Mr Cassidy’s injuries were too severe. On March 29, gardaí again visited the hospital to take a caution statement from Cassidy, who had no recollection of the night’s events.
ID taken from the car on the night belonged to Cassidy. Witnesses, including the owner of Mulroy’s, Alan Mulroy, and paramedic Paul Wyme came upon the crash. Mr Wyme saw a male slumped in the driver’s seat and identified him as Mr Cassidy in the court.
Defending solicitor Aileen Feely argued that there is no evidence of speeding on the night and no witnesses to Cassidy’s driving.
Forensic crash investigator Gabriel McLoughlin told the court that though it could not be determined how fast the car was travelling when it crashed, it travelled a ‘considerable distance’ in the 50km zone.Following the State’s case, Ms Feely told the court that her client had been in a neck and back brace for eight weeks. She said he was sorry for the damage that had been caused, but could not say whether he was driving in an ‘erratic manner’.
Judge Mary Devins sought clarification on direction that Ms Feely was seeking medical evidence in order to defend the dangerous driving charge. This was agreed, and the matter was put back to March 7 to allow for that.

Digital Edition