Wed, Jun
19 New Articles

Phone records key in Swinford murder probe


BURIAL The late Joe Deacy’s funeral takes place this Thursday.

Ger Flanagan

GARDAÍ investigating the death of 21-year-old Joe Deacy are waiting on the results from a phone analysis before further progress can be made in the homicide case.
The Mayo News understands that the results of the analysis should be returned by early next week, and only then will the Gardaí move to the next stage of their investigation.
Supt Tony Healy, who is leading the investigation from Claremorris Garda Station, last night told The Mayo News that phones are of ‘huge significance’ at this stage of the investigation, and when the results of the analysis return, they will have a much clearer picture of what happened on the night.
Supt Healy refused to comment on whether gardaí are looking at a set number of persons of significant interest, but he did say that some such persons have a ‘much more important’ part to play than others.
Investigators have taken statements from up to 180 people who may have been in contact with the victim on the night of the incident. The have also been reviewing CCTV footage, while a large number of phones have been sent for analysis.
However, the Gardaí are still not satisfied that they have interviewed everyone of interest, and they are appealing for anyone with information – or who may have been in contact with the victim, particularly in the early hours of Saturday morning, August 12 – to come forward.

Guard of honour
The funeral of Mr Deacy, of St Alban’s, Hertfordshire, England, will take place in his hometown at 10am next Thursday, September 7, following the release of his body to his family last week.
Mr Deacy played GAA with St Colmcille’s GAC, and the club is organising a Guard of Honour at the funeral and has invited all members to attend.
Mr Deacy had attended a music event in a pub in Kiltimagh with friends on the night the incident took place. He later returned to a friend’s house situated in Gortnasillagh, a rural location between Swinford and Bohola, where he was discovered in an unconscious state by a passer-by at 6am on Saturday, August 12.
Mr Deacy passed away the following day in Beaumont Hospital, Dublin. A post-mortem later revealed his death was caused by ‘significant head injuries’ and not natural causes as first thought, and a homicide investigation was subsequently launched.
Mr Deacy was a regular visitor to the Swinford area and an avid follower of Mayo football.
Investigating officers are asking anyone with information to contact Claremorris Garda Station on 094 9372080 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666111.

Digital Edition