REMANDED IN CUSTODY John Tighe is pictured after appearing at a district court sitting last year. Pic: Keith Heneghan/ Phocus
Defendant remanded in custody and sent forward for trial
A BALLYHAUNIS man has been remanded in custody after he was charged with the 2013 murder of his baby son.
John Tighe (39) of Lavallyroe, Ballyhaunis, appeared before today’s sitting of Castlebar District Court after he was earlier charged with the murder of his son at his home in Ballyhaunis on June 1, 2013.
During a brief court appearance, Detective Garda Kenneth Waldron told Judge Mary Devins that he arrested Mr Tighe this morning at 10.42 am and charged him in Castlebar Garda Station at 10.52am. In reply to the charge, Mr Tighe said ‘not guilty’.
Mr Vincent Deane, State Solicitor for Co Mayo, told Judge Devins that they were ready to present Mr Tighe with the book of evidence, and permission was given to do so in the courtroom.
Following the presentation of the book of evidence to Mr Tighe, Mr Deane said the State’s application was for the defendant to be remanded in custody to be returned for trial before the present sittings of the Central Criminal Court.
Last May, Mr Tighe was charged with the unlawful killing and willful neglect of his son and was granted bail in the District Court.
However, as the District Court does not have the jurisdiction to grant bail for a person charged with murder, Judge Devins remanded Mr Tighe in custody to be sent forward for trial.
An application for legal aid was granted to the defendant’s solicitor, Mr Alan Gannon.