18
Wed, Jul
24 New Articles

Security staff stop fire at Mayo General Hospital

News

’Mayo General Hospital.
‘PROMPT AND EFFECTIVE RESPONSE’
?Mayo General Hospital.

Security staff stop fire at Mayo General Hospital


Áine Ryan

A FIRE was averted at Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, on Friday morning last due to the quick response of security staff. They acted promptly after a fluorescent light in a service duct on A Ward overheated and ignited, tripping the electrical circuit and activating the fire alarm.
The quick-acting staff closed off the duct door, containing the  fire, and used extinguishers to stop the spread of the fire and smoke.    
A HSE West statement confirmed that because the fire started in a  service duct ‘carrying services to the hospital floors, the spread of smoke was fairly extensive and impacted mainly on the front end of A ward’.
“As a result, it was necessary to evacuate all patients from that area to the rear end of the ward including the day-room, thereby providing one hour fire protection for patients and staff. As a precautionary measure, patients were also moved within the Paediatric and Elderly Medicine wards due to the spread of smoke into parts of those areas,” the statement said.
The local Fire Brigade was also called with the main challenge being the dispersal of smoke in the area.
 “A review will be undertaken to establish how and why this happened. However, the response to the fire and resultant smoke containment appears to have worked well and the staff involved are to be complimented on their prompt and effective response to this situation,” said Mr Charlie Meehan, the General Manager of MGH.

Digital Edition