There are almost 500 individuals, couples or families on Castlebar Town Council’s social housing waiting list, according to figures revealed at last week’s meeting of the authority.
Laura Heneghan, Housing Officer with Castlebar Town Council, gave a presentation to the meeting where the extent of the waiting list was revealed.
Ms Heneghan told the council that in the social housing year so far from April 30, 2012 which runs to April 30 next, there has already been 120 applications. A total of 75 applicants were received the previous year while before that there are a total of 245 applicants who will have to reapply due to the new standardised system and regulations implemented by the government in 2011.
It means there are a total of 440 applications on the waiting list.
In response to a question, Town Clerk Marie Crowley told the meeting that rent reviews of existing tenants take place every two years and that if any tenant’s circumstances change, for better or worse, they are obliged to inform the council.
Cllr Michael Kilcoyne said the figures show how lack of government funding for new social housing is a huge problem.
“Local authorities cannot built any houses because of the lack of funding. This local authority won’t be able to cater for the needs of those who require social housing and people will end up with private landlords who very often give very poor service,” he said.
Cllr Therese Ruane said the sitation was going to get worse.
“It’s disgraceful that we’re not building social houses. I can see a big influx of people looking for social housing and their needs won’t be met,” she said.
HAVE YOUR SAY email firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments