20
Fri, Apr
16 New Articles

Over 90 families interviewed after Confirmation Mass slash-hook brawl

News
Over 90 families to be interviewed after brawl


The garda investigation following a fight during a Confirmation Mass in Ballinrobe last February is nearing completion with over 90 families to be interviewed by gardaí.
Four men who have been charged in connection with the incident appeared before last week’s sitting of Castlebar District Court which heard that the ‘complex investigation’ was nearing completion.
Jason Sweeney of 4 Bog Road, Ballinrobe, Martin Sweeney of 6 Bog Road, Ballinrobe, Michael Sweeney of 19 Churchview, Ballinrobe and Patrick Sweeney of 19 Churchview, Ballinrobe have all been charged with possession of an article with intent to cause injury in relation to the incident which took place outside St Mary’s Church, Ballinrobe, on February 28 last.
The four men appeared before the court where they were remanded on bail to appear before the Castlebar District Court sitting on May 15 for DPP directions and the possibility of further charges.
Inspector Joe Doherty told Judge Mary Devins that this was a ‘complex investigation’ with up to 93 families to be interviewed.
He said the investigation was nearing completion and the file would be soon sent to the DPP for consideration.
The brawl erupted at the end of the confirmation service of 97 local children in St Mary’s Church which is believed to have been as a result of an ongoing Traveller family feud. A slash-hook and a hurl were among the weapons which are understood to have been produced in the brawl.

Digital Edition