22
Mon, Oct
1 New Articles

Elderly farmer laid to rest after house fire

News
Elderly farmer dies in house fire


Anton McNulty

‘A terrible tragedy’ was how the death of an 89-year-old Erris man in a house fire near Inver last Friday was described. Michael McAndrew from Gortmelia, Inver was buried yesterday (Monday) in Pollathomas Cemetery after he was found dead in his home which caught fire on Friday morning.
The alarm was raised by neighbours at around 10am when they noticed that the windows of one of the rooms was blackened by smoke. The body of Mr McAndrew, who was better known as ‘Ginger’, was recovered from the house by gardaí and the local fire brigade and was brought to Mayo General Hospital where a post-mortem was carried out.
An investigation into the start of the fire is currently being carried out by gardaí and it is believed that the fire originated in the victims bedroom, and was largely contained to room.
Local councillor Cllr Gerry Coyle said the news of Mr McAndrew’s death shocked the community and was clearly ‘a terrible tragedy’.

0409 ashford 300x250

Digital Edition