20
Sun, Oct
22 New Articles

All quiet on the Mayo manager front

Sport
All quiet on the manager front


Mike Finnerty


THE Mayo GAA Board may have chosen next Friday, August 20, as the closing date for receipt of nominations for the vacant Mayo senior football manager’s job, but none of the men likely to fill the position have shown their hand just yet.
However, speculation is growing that former Mayo manager, John Maughan, could return to the post for a third time. The 48 years-old Crossmolina manager has been installed as the 6/4 favourite with a local bookmaker and didn’t rule himself out of the reckoning when asked by The Mayo News nine days ago.
However, it is not yet clear if Maughan, or any of the other local candidates that have been linked to the job, will let their names go forward later this week.
Noel Connelly, Ray Dempsey, James Horan, Denis Kearney and Peter Ford will all be weighing up their options this week, while The Mayo News understands that there may be at least one other former Mayo footballer considering his options.
This newspaper has also learned that former Kerry All-Ireland winning manager, Mick O’Dwyer (74), has been sounded out about his interest in the Mayo position.
It is unclear, however, what level of support there would be for the Waterville-based hotelier from within the Mayo GAA Board and from the county’s supporters.
However, one man who is not interested in the job is Peter Canavan. The two-time All-Ireland winner said he had “absolutely no interest” in inter-county management at the moment, and confirmed that he “hadn’t been approached by anybody” from Mayo.
Officially, clubs have until the end of this week to submit nominations but the Mayo GAA executive may decide to extend the deadline if the need arises.

MEANWHILE, the Mayo over-40s captain, John Pat Sheridan, has offered to lead the Masters team to New York to play in the FBD League Final if no manager is in place by mid-October. “Let there be no rush to appoint a senior manager,“ he said. “I know a bunch of footballers that are trained and ready to go over and represent the county.”
The over-40s are currently sidelined after the All-Ireland Masters championship was disbanded by GAA officials last month.